West Dean is an Ancient Parish partly in Hampshire and partly in Wiltshire. East Grimstead is a chapelry of West Dean.
Alternative names: West Dean with East Grimstead
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1754
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
- West Dean, Hampshire
- East Dean, Hampshire
- Pitton and Farley
- East Grimstead
- West Tytherley, Hampshire
- Nether Wallop, Hampshire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEAN (West), a parish in the districts of Stockbridge and Alderbury, and county of Wilts; on the Salisbury canal and the Salisbury railway, at Dean r. station and the boundary with Hants, 7¼ miles NW of Romsey. It includes East Grimstead chapelry; and has a post office under Romsey. Acres, 4,382. Real property, £3,819. Pop., 446. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. West Dean House, now pulled down, was a seat of the Evelyns, and of the first Duke of Kingston. A Roman pavement was found in the parish in 1741. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of East Grimstead, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. H. Glossop. The old church had monuments of the Evelyns and the Pierreponts; and the new church was built in 1866.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockbridge
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Amesbury
- Poor Law Union: Stockbridge
- Hundred: Alderbury
- Province: Canterbury