Warminster is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Warminster St Lawrence.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608-1609; 1622
Warminster St Lawrence
- Parish registers: 1821
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Protestant Dissenters, Society of Friends/Quaker, Unitarian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WARMINSTER, a town, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred, in Wilts. The town stands on the Bath and Salisbury railway, at the head of a valley, under escarpments of the downs, on the E border of Salisbury plain, 20 miles NW by W of Salisbury; disputes with Heddington the claim of occupying the site of the Roman Verlucio; derives its name from an ancient nunnery on the banks of the Guere or Were; was known, at Domesday, as Guermestre; is now a seat of sessions and county courts, and a polling place; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on malting; consists chiefly of one street, about a mile long, with many good houses; and has a head post-office, a r. station with telegraph, three banking offices, two chief inns, a town hall of 1831 in the Tudor style, a market house, a parish church of 1724, two other churches of 1831 and 1865, a chapel of the time of Edward I., four dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £30 a year, national and British schools, a mission-house for training young men as missionaries, a literary institute, an athenæum, a house for preparing women for home and foreign work, a cottage hospital, a free orphanage, a workhouse, charities £161, a weekly market on Saturday, and three annual fairs. Pop. in 1861, 3,675. Houses, 808. The parish comprises 6,370 acres. Real property, £23,031: of which £24 are in quarries, and £150 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 6,285; in 1861, 5,995. Houses, 1,308. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; passed, through the Manduits, the Hungerfords, the Howards, and others, to the Thynnes; and belongs now to the Marquis of Bath. Roman antiquities have been found; and an ancient camp is at Southley-Wood. The head living or St. Denys is a vicarage, and that of Christchurch is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value of St. D., £425; of C., £300. Patron of St. D., the Bishop of S.; of C., the Vicar of W. Bishop Squire was a native. The sub-district contains three parishes and a part. Pop., 7,643. Houses, 1,703. The district includes also Heytesbury and Longbridge-Deverill sub-districts, and comprises 56,356 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £11,151. Pop. in 1851, 17,067; in 1861, 15,942. Houses, 3,545. Marriages in 1863, 105; births, 482, of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 298, of which 107 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,131; births, 5,069; deaths, 3,334. The places of worship, in 1851, were 26 of the Church of England, with 7,315 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 2,101 s.; 6 of Baptists, with 1,304 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 200 s.; 3 of Wesleyans, with 748 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 215 s.; and 3 of Independent Methodists, with 451 s. The schools were 21 public day-schools, with 1,699 scholars; 34 private day-schools, with 565 s.; 28 Sunday schools, with 2,063 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 39 s. The hundred contains 10 parishes. Acres, 25,640. Pop. in 1851, 10,807; in 1861, 10,098. Houses, 2,228.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Boor James, Warminster, Wiltshire, money scrivener, Oct. 27. 1826.
Chettle John, Warminster, Wilts, linen and woollen draper, Мау 28, 1839.
Collier Richard, Warminster, Wilts, victualler, June 26, 1832.
Cook Thomas, Warminster, Wilts, gunsmith, March 2, 1832.
Long William, Warminster, Wiltshire, ironmonger, June 19, 1838.
Minty Edward, Warminster, Wilts, maltster and corn dealer, April 12, 1842.
Nicholls George, Warminster, Wiltshire, linen draper, July 13, 1827.
Payne Thomas, Warminster, Wiltshire, butcher, March 20, 1840
Scammell Edward, Warminster, Wilts, dealer in earthenware, Sept. 18, 1829.
Scammell William Merewether, Warminster, Wilts, currier, Oct. 20, 1829.
Silcox Jacob, Warminster, Wiltshire, carpenter and joiner, Oct. 20, 1840.
Springford John, Warminster, Wiltshire. victualler, Feb. 6, 1827.
Starling Joseph, Warminster, Wilts, hatter, July 7, 1837.
Thring John Tivitoe, Warminster, Wilts. scrivener, Aug. 25, 1835.
Tovey Thomas, Warminster, Wilts, innkeeper, May 26, 1840.
Ubsdell, Charles, Warminster, Wilts. linen draper, Nov. 8, 1823.
Wilkins John, Warminster. Wiltshire, corn factor, Oct. 2, 1824.
Witcomb Levi, Warminster, Wilts, money scrivener, June 14, 1823.
Wyatt John, Warminster, Wiltshire, cabinet maker, Aug. 7, 1835.
Record of members : 1848-1870 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Calne Branch (Wiltshire); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Chalford Branch (Gloucestershire); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Warminster Branch (Wiltshire)
Parish register printouts of Warminster, Wiltshire, England (Presbyterian, the Old Meeting House) ; christenings, 1762-1836 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Warminster
- Province: Canterbury