Wanborough is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Wodensburgh
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1585
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WANBOROUGH, a parish, with a village, in Highworth district, Wilts; 4½ miles SE by E of Swindon r. station. It has a post-office under Shrivenham, Berkshire. Acres, 4,440. Real property, £8,868. Pop., 960. Houses, 198. The manor belonged anciently to the St. Amauds, and passed to the Lovells and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £375. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is old; and has a tower at one end, and a spire at the other. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Castle William, Wanborough, Wilts, sheep dealer and farmer, Nov. 25, 1842.
Manors - Court Records
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Out relief from the board of guardians’ minutes of Highworth & Swindon Union, 1842-1879 Author: Hurley, Beryl; Hassell, Margory; Highworth and Swindon Union (Wiltshire); Wiltshire Family History Society
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Highworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cricklade
- Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
- Hundred: Kingsbridge
- Province: Canterbury