Urchfont with Stert is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Erchfont, Urchfont
Other places in the parish include: Wedhampton, Stert, Lydeway, Eastcott, and Eastcote.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Separate registers exist for Stert
- Parish registers: 1579
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1580
Nonconformists include: Baptist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
URCHFONT, or Erchfont, a parish, with three tythings, in Devizes district, Wilts; 3½ miles SE of Devizes r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 6,873. Real property, £11,876. Pop. in 1851, 1,604; in 1861, 1,459. Houses, 348. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Stert chapelry, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £320. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was restored in 1840. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Urchfont Marriages 1538 to 1812 and Stert Marriages 1579 to 1812
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Swanborough (Wiltshire)
- Province: Canterbury