Tisbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: East Tisbury, West Tisbury
Other places in the parish include: Wardour, Tuckingmill, Staple, Hatch, and Chicksgrove.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1563
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Sutton Mandeville
- Fonthill Gifford
- East Knoyle
- Fonthill Bishop
- Teffont Evias
- Donhead St Andrew
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TISBURY, a small town, two parishes, a sub-district, and a district, in Wilts. The town stands on a declivity, adjacent to the river Nadder, and to the London, Yeovil, and Exeter railway, 14 miles W of Salisbury; derived some importance, in old times, from the neighbourhood of Wardour Castle; numbers among its natives Sir John Davies, who died in 1626, and Chief Justice Hyde, who died in 1631; and has a post-office under Salisbury, a r. station with telegraph, a fine church of the early part of the 13th century, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £170. The parishes are East T. and West T.; and prior to 1834, they and Wardour formed one parish, comprising the tythings of Tisbury, Chicksgrove, Staple, and Hatch. Acres of the original parish, 7,355. Real property, £13,888; of which £122 are in quarries. Pop. of East T., 942; of W. T., 653. Houses, 199 and 134. Place Farm is the old manor house, dating from the 14th century; was an occasional residence of the Abbess of Shaftesbury; and still retains its gateway and its barn. The livings are a conjoint vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £306. Patron, Lord Arundel. The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 10,839. Pop., 3,207. Houses, 633. The district includes also Donhead and Hindon sub-districts, and comprises 40,494 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £5,919. Pop. in 1851, 10,181; in 1861, 9,862. Houses, 2,064. M ages in 1863, 63; births, 350, of which 27 were illegitimate; deaths, 203, of which 63 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 744; births, 3,081; deaths, 1,930. The places of worship, in 1851, were 20 of the Church of England, with 5,632 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 1,069 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 485 s.; 2 of Wesleyans, with 400 s.; 4 of Primitive Methodists, with 220 s.; 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic Church, with 160 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 400 s. The schools were 22 public day-schools, with 1,345 scholars; 10 private day-schools, with 218 s.; 19 Sunday schools, with 1,443 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 56 s. The workhouse is in Wardour.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Franklin William, Ladydown, Wiltshire, fuller, March 8, 1823.
Civil Registration District: Tisbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Tisbury