Teffont Evias is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Evias Teffont, Ewyas Teffont, Teffont Ewyas
Parish church: St Michael & All Angels
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1683
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623
- Sutton Mandeville
- Teffont Magna
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TEFFONT-EVIAS, a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts; 1¼ mile W of Dinton r. station, and 6½ W of Wilton. It has a post-office, of the name of Teffont, under Salisbury. Acres, 742. Rated property, £1,177. Pop., 163. Houses, 32. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £240. Patron, W. F. De Salis, Esq. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Teffont Evias, a parish, in the union of Tisbury, hundred of Dunworth, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 6½ miles (W.) from Wilton; containing 149 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 700 acres, of which the soil in some parts is a strong clay, and in others a rich loam suited to every kind of grain; the surface is hilly, and the scenery derives an imposing effect from the river Nadder, and another stream, beautifully clear, which rises in the chalk hills near the adjoining village of Teffont Magna, and forms a lake, covering two acres, in the grounds of the lord of the manor. There is a fine freestone quarry, besides very extensive excavations, from which the stone used in building Salisbury cathedral was taken. The manor-house, a handsome structure in the later English style, greatly enlarged and improved in the present century, was the birthplace of Henry, Earl of Marlborough, lord high treasurer and chancellor of England in the time of James II. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £143; patron, J. T. Mayne, Esq.: there is a parsonage-house, with a glebe containing about 28 acres. The church has been rebuilt.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Civil Registration District: Tisbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Chalke
Poor Law Union: Tisbury