Stratton St Margaret is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: St Margaret Stratton
Other places in the parish include: Upper Stratton, Lower Stratton, and Kingsdown.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1608
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
- Blunsdon St Andrew
- Broad Blunsdon
- Stanton Fitzwarren
- South Marston
- Rodbourne Cheney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STRATTON-ST. MARGARET, a village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles NE of Swindon; and has a post-office under Swindon. The parish includes Upper Stratton tything, contains Highworth workhouse, and comprises 2,620 acres. Real property, £9,980. Pop., 1,642. Houses, 320. The property is much sub-divided. An alien priory cell was founded in 1066; and was given, by Henry VI., to King's College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £216. Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is good. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £22.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Highworth
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Perpetual Vicar of Corsham
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Cricklade
Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple