Stourton is an Ancient Parish partly in Somerset and partly in Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Stourton with Gasper
Other places in the parish include: Gasper and Brook.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1570
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- South Brewham with North Brewham
- Shepton Montague
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOURTON, a parish in Mere district, and in Wilts and Somerset; 2½ miles WNW of Mere, and 5 SE of Witham r. station. Its Somerset portion is Brook hamlet. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 3,543. Rated property, £3,304. Pop., 660. Houses, 151. Stourhead, separately noticed, is the chief feature. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £520. Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is ancient, and contains monuments of the Stourtons. The churchyard is ornate; and contains a lofty stone cross, the mansoleum of the Hoare family, and a monumental tower over the remains of Sir R.Hoare, the author of "Ancient Wiltshire." Charities, £68.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
County: Somerset; Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Mere
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Mere
Hundred: Norton Ferris; Mere