Stockton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1589
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
- Fisherton Delamere
- Fonthill Bishop
- Codford St Mary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
STOCKTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; 1¾ mile WNW of Wiley r. station. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,000. Real property, £2,267. Pop., 288. Houses, 64. The manor, with S. House, belongs to H. Biggs, Esq. The Ridgeway traverses the S.; and at Stockton Wood there are vestiges of a Roman station, on the site of an ancient British town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £436. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is good; and there are alms houses with £159 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Warminster
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Warminster
Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh