Steeple Langford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Little Bathampton, Hanging Langford, and Great Bathampton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist
- Little Langford
- Berwick St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANGFORD (STEEPLE), a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, near Wiley r. station, 5½ miles NW of Wilton; and has a post-office under Bath. The parish includes the tything of Hanging-Langford, and comprises 3,941 acres. Real property, with Little Langford, £4,222. Pop., 628. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. Traces of an ancient British camp are on a hill called Yarnborough Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £594. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; and contains a rich altar-tomb to the Mompessons.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Wilton
Hundred: Branch and Dole