Southbroom is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1832 from chapelry in Bishop's Cannings Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Devizes St James, St James
Other places in the parish include: Roundway.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1572
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1620-1625; 1663
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SOUTHBROOM, or St. James, a chapelry in Bishops-Cannings parish, Wilts; near Devizes r. station. Post town, Devizes. Acres, 2,648. Rated property, £7,980. Pop. in 1851, 2,517; in 1861, 2,773, of whom 132 were in Devizes workhouse, 386 in the Wilts lunatic asylum, and 26 in Bellevue lunatic asylum. Houses, 454. The property is divided among a few. S. House is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Bishops-Cannings. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1834.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Southbroom Marriages 1572 to 1837
Southbroom Wiltshire Marriages 1572 to 1837 - View Online
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Potterne and Cannings
- Province: Canterbury