South Newton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ugford, Stoford, Little Wishford, Chilhampton, and Burdens Ball.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1695
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1604
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Wishford Magna
- Berwick St James
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON (South), a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, adjacent to the Salisbury, Westbury, and Bath railway, 1 mile SSE of Wishford r. station, and 2¼ N by W of Wilton. The parish includes the tythings of Burdens-Ball, Chilhampton, Stoford, Ugford, and Little Wishford; and its post town is Wilton, under Salisbury. Acres, 3,370. Real property, with Great Wishford and Avon, £6,880. Rated property of S. N. alone, £4,515. Pop., 717. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £221. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church was variously Norman, transition Norman, early English, and perpendicular; went into a ruinous condition; was rebuilt throughout the N side, in the early English style, in 1862; was restored, throughout the S side, with preservation of the original features, in the same year; has a tower and a S porch, then built; and retains an old three-light E window, now filled with stained glass. There are a national school, charities £10, and the Wilton workhouse; and the last has a handsome chapel, erected in 1864.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wilton
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wilton
Poor Law Union: Wilton
Hundred: Branch and Dole