Shrewton, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1557
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Shrewton

  • Orcheston St George
  • Rollestone
  • Netheravon
  • Figheldean
  • Winterbourne Stoke
  • Enford
  • Maddington

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SHREWTON, a parish, with a village, in Amesbury district, Wilts; 6 miles WNW of Amesbury, and 6 N of Wishford r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 2,178. Rated property, £2,074. Pop., 710. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. There are several ancient British remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £230. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1854. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £71.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Amesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Amesbury
Hundred: Branch and Dole
Province: Canterbury