Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created by 1640 from Sherston Magna Ancient Parish and Sherston Parva Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Sherston Magna, Sherston Pinkney and Sherston Parva

Other places in the parish include: Sherston Pinkney and Sherston Parva.

Status: Ecclesiastical Parish

Alternative names: Sherston Parva

Parish church: Holy Cross

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1653
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1602

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Primitive Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Sherston Magna with Sherston Parva

Historical Descriptions

Sherston Magna

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHERSTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 5 ½ miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 8 ½ E by S of Wickwar r. station; was known to the Saxons as Sceorstan; witnessed an obstinate battle, in 1016, between Edmund Ironside and Canute; was long a place of considerable consequence; and has a post-office, of the name of Sherston, under Malmsbury, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. The parish comprises 4,280 acres. Real property, with Sherston-Parva, £8,637. Pop. of S.-M. alone, 1,503. Houses, 325. The property is subdivided. The manors of S.-M and S.-P., with Pinkney Park, belong to W. H. Creswell, Esq. Roman coins have been found; a deep well, supposed to have been of Roman origin, is behind the village; and an entrenched camp, probably Saxon, is a little to the NE. The living is a vicarage, united with S. -Parva, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is Norman and cruciform, and has a central tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, national and British schools, and charities £13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Sherston Parva or Pinkney

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

SHERSTON-PARVA, or S.-PINKNEY, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; adjacent to Sherston-Magna. Post-town, Sherston, under Malmsbury. Acres, 950. Pop., 156. Houses, 30. The living is a rectory, annexed to S.–Magna.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Butler Sarah, Sherston Magna, Wilts, innholder, Jan. 6, 1821.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Sherston Magna 1653-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Directories

Kelly’s Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
Hundred: Chippenham
Province: Canterbury

Similar Posts