Sherrington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish church: St Cosmos and St Damian
Parish registers begin: 1677
Parishes adjacent to Sherrington
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
Sherrington, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; near Codford r. station, and 3¼ miles SE of Heytesbury. Post-town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 1,280. Real property, £1,131. Pop., 187. Houses, 43. The manor belongs to the Rev. P. A. Fane. An ancient castle of the Giffards was here, and is now represented by a moated mound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £238. Patron, the Rev. A. Fane. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Sherington, a parish in the hund. of Branch and Dole, union of Warminster, county of Wilts; 5½ miles north-east by north of Hindon, on the southern bank of the river Wily. Living, a rectory in the archd. and dio. of Salisbury; rated at £11; gross income £250. Tithes commuted in 1840. Patron, in 1841, A. B. Lambert. Acres 540. Houses 25. A. P. £969. Pop., in 1801, 134; in 1831, 179. Poor rates, in 1838, £67 16s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Sherrington Wiltshire Marriages 1677 to 1837 - View Online
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Branch and Dole
- Province: Canterbury