Shaw is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1843 from Melksham Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Shaw and Whitley
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1838
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHAW and WHITLEY, a chapelry in Melksham parish, Wilts; 1¼ mile WNW of Melksham r. station. It was constituted in 1842; and it has a post-office, of the name of Shaw, under Melksham. Pop., 596. Houses, 142. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Melksham.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Melksham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Melksham
- Hundred: Melksham
- Province: Canterbury