Shalbourne is an Ancient Parish partly in Berkshire and partly in Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Oxenwood.
Alternative names: Shalbourn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1672
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Bedwyn
- Tidcombe and Fosbury
- East Grafton
- Shalbourne, Berkshire
- Great Bedwyn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHALBOURN, a village in Berks, and a parish partly also in Wilts; but all in Hungerford district. The village stands near Wans dyke, 2¾ miles E of Bedwyn r. station, and 4 SSW of Hungerford; and has a post-office under Hungerford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bagshot and Oxenwood in Berks, and the hamlet of Newtown in Wilts. Acres of the B. portion, 2,550; of the W. portion, 2,805. Real property of the whole, £6,879. Pop., 506 and 506. Houses, 105 and 113. Much of the property belongs to the Marquis of Ailesbury. Prosperous farm was the scene of the agriculturalexperiments of Jethro Tull. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £428. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is good; and there are a parochial school, and charities £13.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Land and Property
Estate survey in Collingborne, Wiltshire, 1706-1776 Author: Manor of Collingbourne-Ducis (Wiltshire); Manor of Collingbourne-Kingston (Wiltshire); Manor of Shalbourn (Wiltshire); Selkley (Wiltshire : Hundred)
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Hungerford
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Berkshire
- Diocese: Pre-1836 - Salisbury, Post-1835 - Oxford
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1846 - Windsor, Post-1845 - Newbury
- Poor Law Union: Hungerford
- Hundred: Kinwardstone
- Province: Canterbury