Semley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1708
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1626
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SEMLEY, a parish, with a village, in Tisbury district, Wilts; on the Salisbury and Yeovil railway, 3 miles N E of Shaftesbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Salisbury. Acres, 2,945. Rated property, £3,812. Pop., 699. The manor belongs to Lord Arundel. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £600. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church was all early English; but the chancel was rebuilt, in the decorated style, in 1866. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Land and Property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Tisbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Tisbury
- Hundred: Chalk
- Province: Canterbury