Semington is a chapelry of Steeple Ashton Ancient Parish in Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1586
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1623
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SEMINGTON, a chapelry in Steeple-Ashton parish, Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, near the Mid Wilts railway, 2 miles ESE of Holt-Junction r. station, and 3½ NE of Trowbridge. It has a post-office under Trowbridge. Real property, with Littleton, £3,308. Pop. in 1861, 427; of whom 160 were in Melksham workhouse. Houses, 60. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Staple-Ashton. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Melksham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Melksham
- Hundred: Whorwellsdown
- Province: Canterbury