Salisbury, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Louise Rayner Salisbury The Poultry Cross
Louise Rayner Salisbury The Poultry Cross

Parishes

History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SALISBURY, a city, three parishes, and a district in Wilts, and a diocese partly also in Dorset and Berks. The city stands at the confluence of the Upper Avon, the Bourn, the Wiley, and the Nadder rivers, 28½ miles W of Winchester, and 82 by road, but 96 by railway, S W by W of London. Its site is part of a green valley, among extensive breezy downs; and its environs are enriched with villas and mansions, including Clarendon Park, Trafalgar House, Longford Castle, and Wilton House. railways go from it to the NE, the SE, and the W; branch railways strike from its near neighbourhood to the NW and the S; and all go into ramifications and connexions, such as to give facile communication with all parts of the kingdom.

History.—The city originated about 1220, in the desertion of Old Sarum, 2 miles to the N; and it bears the alternative name of New Sarum. Its name in old documents was Sarisbyrig or Saresbury, a name previously borne by Old Sarum, and signifying “the dry town; “and that name was gradually corrupted into Salisbury. The new city shares the historical reminiscences of the old one, “the Wiltshire Nineveh,” from the times of the ancient Britons, through those of the Romans, the Saxons, and the Danes, to those of William the Conqueror, of William Rufus, of Henry I., of the Empress Maud, and of Henry II., who all made a figure at Old Sarum; and it may be said to claim as its own the desolate remains of that old city, and the remains of ancient neighbouring camps. But it was made independent of Old Sarum so early as 1244, by the diversion to it of the Great Western-road or “Wilt-way;” it was constituted a borough, or free city, by Henry III.; it was the meeting-place of a parliament of Edward I in 1297; it was walled in 1315; it was the meeting-place of a parliament of Edward III., called to impeach Mortimer, in 1328; and, from its position on the Great Western-road, it was, in all times of civil commotion, a post of importance, and a place of transit for troops. The contending parties in the wars of the Barons and the Roses gave it considerable disturbance; the Duke of Buckingham was beheaded in its market-place, by order of Richard III., in 1483; the royalists and the parliamentarians alternately occupied it in the civil wars of Charles I.; an abortive rising of Penruddock, Wyndham, and others occurred in it, on behalf of Charles II., in 1665; the army of James II. was concentrated at it, to oppose the anticipated landing of the Prince of Orange in 1688; and the Prince himself triumphantly entered it, on his way to London, on 4 Dec. of the same year. The city was visited, in 1258, by Henry III.; in 1457, by Henry VI.; in 1478, by Edward IV.; in 1486, by Henry VII.; in 1516 and 1535, by Henry VIII.; in 1574, by Elizabeth; in 1603, and on seven other occasions, by James I.; in 1625, 1632, and 1635, by Charles I.; in 1665, after the battle of Worcester and under hiding, by Charles II.; in 1678 again, by Charles II.; in 1688, to oppose the Prince of Orange, by James II.; in 1722, by George I.; in 1778, by George III. and his queen; and in 1846, by Queen Victoria. Cardinal Winterburne, of the 13th century, Provost Horman, who died in 1535, Bishop Thornborough, 1552-1641, Philip Massinger the dramatic poet, born in 1584, Matthew the Jesuit, 1577-1655, Maschiart or Mackert, who died in 1598, Coryat, who died in 1606, Bishop Hyde, who died in 1667, Bishop Ward, who died in 1676, Dr. Bennet the orientalist, 1673-1728, Ditton the mathematician, 1675-1715, Chubb the deist, 1700-47, H. Lawes and W. Lawes the musicians, who died in 1642 and 1645, Hayter the theologian, Dr. Harris, author of “Hugh Peter’s Life,” born in 1720, James Harris, author of “Hermes,” 1709-80, the Earl of Malmsbury, 1746-1820, Tobin, author of the “Honeymoon,” born in 1770, J. Feltham, and Pitt Earl of Chatham, were natives; Joseph Addison was educated at the grammar school; and the family of Ceciltake from the city the title of Marquis. John of Salisbury, Bishop of Chartres, who made a great figure in the 12th century, was born at Old Sarum.

Structure.—The site of the city, before commencement of the buildings, was partitioned into squares or “chequers.” The principal streets, in consequence, run in parallels from N to S and from E to W, and cross one another at right angles, or nearly so, while the houses are arranged in rectangular groups, with central spaces for yards and gardens; so that the entire city presents an aspect of regularity and airiness. Bricked channels, locally called canals, and swept by copious streamlets from the river, traverse the principal streets: were formerly open, and crossed by numerous tiny bridges; and occasioned the city to be described as a “heap of isletsthrown together,” and even to be compared to Venice; but these channels were recently covered in. Some of the houses exhibit curious specimens of ancient domestic architecture, and have gable ends, of brick and timber-work covered with plaster. Two bridges with each six arches span the Avon, and connect the city with Fisherton-Anger and Crane. A ten-arched bridge connects, on the east, with East Harnham; was built in 1244, by Bishop Bingham; rests at the middle on an islet; and was formerly surmounted by a chapel. The market-place, in the centre of the city, is an open area surrounded by shops and public buildings. The town hall, or council and session-house, stands at the SE corner of the market-place; was rebuilt in 1788-95, after designs by Taylor; is a white brick edifice, with rustic stone quoins and cornices, and with a Doric portico; and contains a hall 75 feet by 24, with portraits of James I., Queen Anne, the Earl of Radnor, John Duke of Somerset, Sir R. Hyde, Sir S. Eyre, Sir T. White, W. Hussey, W. Chiffinch, Bishop Ward, and Bishop Fisher. The market house stands at the NW corner of the market-place; was erected in 1858-9; and is connected by a branch railway with the r. stations, at Fisherton. A curious old hexagonal Gothic structure, called the Poultry cross, stands off the SW corner of the market-place; is supported by buttresses, and has a conical roof; seems, from its style, to have been erected in the 16th century; and was thoroughly restored in 1855. A monument to Lord Herbert stands in the market-place; was erected in 1863; and consists of a bronze statue 9 feet high, by Marochetti, on a pedestal of polished marble 10 feet high. The county jail stands at Fisherton; was erected in 1822, at a cost of £30,000; and has capacity for 114 male and 13 female prisoners. The workhouse stands near Cranebridge; was originally a mansion of the Earl of Castle-haven; dates from the latter part of the 15th century, and has a gate-house and a bay-window. The banqueting hall of John Halle, a wealthy wool-stapler of the times of Henry VII. and Edward IV., was built in 1470, and restored by Pugin in 1834; is an interesting specimen of the domestic architecture of its period; and has a lofty timber roof with insertions of plaster scollop-work, and four stained-glass windows with devices of the royal house of York. The quondam George-Inn, in High-street, figures in Pepys’ Diary; and is a good 15th century timber house, with an outer gallery. The quondam Joiners, hall, in St. Anne-street, retains a front of the time of Queen Elizabeth. A house in Brown-street, formerly called the barracks, and dating from the time of Henry VI., has rich stone chimney-pieces. There are news-rooms, assembly-rooms, and a theatre.

The Cathedral.—The original cathedral stood at Old Sarum. The present cathedral was founded at Salisbury in 1220, partially opened in 1225, and mainly completed in 1263, at a cost of about £26,666. It received addition of cloisters and chapter-house in 1263-70; of the upper part of the tower, in 1239; of the spire, in 1335-75; of the Beanchamp chapel, now destroyed, on the S side of the Lady chapel, in 1450-82; of the chantry chapel, on the N side of the choir, in 1502-24; and of Lord Hungerford’s chantry, now destroyed, in 1476. Alterations were made on it, under direction of James Wyatt, at a cost of £26,000; but they obliterated paintings, destroyed porches, reredos, and screens, removed a separating screen between the Lady chapel and the presbytery, and altogether were of a character more destructive than improving. A sinking of tower and spire took place prior to 1681, such as to throw them 24½ inches out of the perpendicular on the S, and 16¾ inches on the W, and to occasion conservative measures to be taken under direction of Sir. Wren; and, though no further sinking was ever afterwards perceptible, some fear eventually arose that they were insecure. Mr. Scott, the architect, made a careful survey of the entire pile in 1864; pronounced the tower and spire decidedly unsafe, and the body of the cathedral in a bad state of repair; explained the methods which would require to be adopted for effecting restoration; and estimated the cost at £50,000. The repairs of the exterior, together with the measures for strengthening the tower and spire, were completed in 1868. The pile, excepting features of rich decorated English in the later portions, is all early English, pure and highly ornate; and it has a perfect ground plan, a finely symmetrical adjustment, and a sort of pyramidal external disposition. It comprises a ten-bayed nave, 229 feet long, 78 feet wide, and 81 feet high, with aisles; a northern porch; a four-bayed main transept, 206 feetlong, 57 feet wide, and 81 feet high, with an aisle once containing a chapel; a central tower of three stages, surmounted by an octagonal spire, rising to the height of 404 feet; a six-bayed choir, 151½ feet wide, 78 feet long, and 91 feet high, with aisles; a three-bayed choir-transept, 145 feet long, 44 feet wide, and 81 feet high, with an aisle; a Lady chapel, 69½ feet long, 37 feet wide, and 40 feet high, with aisles; a cloister, on the S side, 182 feet long, 18 feet wide, and 18 feet high; and a chapter-house to the E, 58 feet in diameter, and 53 feet high. The length of the whole is 450 feet; and the circuit of the exterior walls is ½ a mile. The W front is an exquisite composition in five stories, pierced in the centre by the great W doorways and window, and surmounted at the sides by towers; and it once had so many as 123 statues. The great tower is crowned at the angles by octagonal turrets, terminating in crocketted spirelets; and the spire springs from the midst of these spirelets, presents canopied spiral-lights to the points of the compass, and soars into conspicuousness over a great extent of country. The E part of the choir consists of a steep gable set between two octagonal turrets with lofty spirelets. The chapter-house is an octagonal structure, with roof supported by acentral pier of slender clustered shafts; and was restored in 1856, in memorial of the late Bishop Denison, at a cost of more than £7,000. The chief monuments in the cathedral are, in the nave, one of Lord Wyndham, by Rysbrach, and one of Sir R. Hoare by Lucus; in the N side of the nave, an alabaster effigies of Sir John Cheney, altar-tombs of Lord Hungerford and Bishop Osmond, altar-tombs and effigies of the Hon. J. de Montacute and the first Earl of Salisbury, and a basrelief of a bishop supposed to be of the13th century; in the S side of the nave, effigies of the second Earl of Salisbury and Bishop De la Wyle, an altar-tomb of Lord Stourton, an alabaster effigies of another Lord Hungerford, an altar-tomb of Bishop Beauchamp, and two bas-reliefs of the 12th century; in the main transept, altar-tombs of Bishops Woodville and Blythe, monuments by Flaxman of B. Earle and W. and W. Long, a monument by Bacon of J. Harris, a monument by Chantrey of the first Earl of Malmsbury, a canopied effigies of Bishop Metford, and a monument by Pugin of Lieut. Fisher; in the presbytery, a chantry of Bishop Audley, canopied arches of Bishops Bingham and William, and one of the most ancient brasses in England; in the choir transept, an altar-tomb and marble effigies of Bishop Poore, an incised brass of Bishop Wyville, and a tomb and small chantry of Bishop Bridport; in the Lady chapel, an effigies of Sir T. Gorges, a floriated tablet of Bishop Mortiva, an effigies of Sir T. Mompesson, an altar-tomb of Bishop Capon, effigies of the Earl and Countess of Hertford, and an altar-tomb of Chancellor W. Wilton. A close, or walled precinct, of about ½ a square mile in area, surrounds the cathedral; has three gates on the S, the E, and the N; and is adorned with ample verdure and magnificent trees. The Bishop’s palace contains a feudal hall, built in 1460, and hung with portraits of the bishops since the Restoration. The Canon’s house, near the E gate, is surmounted by a double gable; and was the residence of Archdeacon Coxe, author of the Life of Marlborough, and of Canon Bowles, the poet. The King’s house, on the W side of the close, takes its name from having been the lodging-place of kings on their visits to the city of Salisbury, and is an ivy-clad Tudor edifice of the 15th century. Bishop Ward’s college, near the N gate, is an institution, founded in 1682, for ten widows of clergymen.

Churches.—St. Edmund’s church was founded in 1268, by Bishop De la Wyle, as a collegiate church; lost its tower in 1653; was rebuilt in the later English style; and has a new chancel after designs by G. G. Scott, and an E window by Clayton and Bell. St. Martin’s church is ancient; was repaired in 1850; has some early English windows, some later English, and a spire; and contains a brass of 1586. St. Thomas’ church was originally built in 1240, as a chapel of ease to the cathedral; is now later English, with numerous windows, and with a roof of carved timber; contains a tomb supposed to be that of the Duke of Buckingham, and monuments of the Eyres; and the chancel was restored in 1867, at a cost of about £1,300. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics; and the last was built in 1851, after a design by Pugin. Two ultra-mural cemeteries were recently formed; the one of 8 acres, about a mile to the NE of the city; the other of 2½ acres, on the Devizes-road; and both have mortuary chapels. A college was founded in 1260, by Bishop Egidius; and some ruins of its walls and chapel still exist. A grey friary was founded in 1227, by Bishop Poore; a black friary, in 1270, by Archbishop Kilwardy; and an hospital of St. John, by some other person; but all these three have entirely disappeared. A training-school for female teachers is in the cathedral close. A school for the cathedral choristers also is there; and had Harris, the author of “Hermes,” for a pupil. Another grammar school is in the city, was founded by Queen Elizabeth, has £51 a year from endowment, and had Addison for a pupil. A school, founded by the Godolphin family, for 8 orphan daughters of poor gentlemen, has about £300 a year from endowment. There are several other public schools, variously Church, national, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic. A school of science and art was inaugurated in Nov. 1865. A museum, for the early stone antiquities collected by Squier, Davis, and Blackmore, was built in 1867. Bishop Ward’scollege for clergymen’s widows, already noticed, has £654 a year from endowment. St. Nicholas’ hospital for 12 persons has £1,059; Trinity hospital, also for 12, has £192; Frowde’s hospital, likewise for 12, has £145; and Blechyndon’s, Eyre’s, Taylor’s, and Brickett’s, each for 6, have respectively £80, £54, £49, and £25. There are also four suites of alms-houses, an infirmary, a lunatic asylum, and other institutions.

Trade.—The city has a head post-office, railway stations with telegraph, three banking offices, and five chief inns; is a seat of petty sessions, quarter sessions, and spring assizes, and a polling-place; and publishes three weekly newspapers. A corn market is held on every Tuesday: a general market, on every Saturday; a cattle market, on every alternate Tuesday; and fairs, on the Tuesday after 6 Jan., Whit-Monday, and the Tuesday after 10 Oct. Woollen manufacture and the making of ornamental cutlery were formerly extensive, but have entirely declined. The city has sent two members to parliament since the time of Edward I.; and it is governed, under the new municipal act, by a mayor, 6 aldermen, and 18 councillors. The police force, in 1864, comprised 12 men, at an annual cost of £857. The crimes committed in 1864 were 28; the persons apprehended, 28; the known depredators and suspected persons at large, 73; the houses of bad character, 16. The corporation revenue is about £2,420. The borough boundaries include all St. Edmund parish, all St. Thomas parish, most of St. Martin parish, all Cathedral-close liberty, and part of Fisherton-Anger parish. Acres, 601. Real property, exclusive of the part of Fisherton-Anger, in 1860, £39,608. Amount of property and income-tax charged in 1863, £5,936. Electors in 1833, 576; in 1863, 669. Pop. in 1851, 11,637; in 1861, 12,278. Houses, 2,344.

Parishes and District.—Only St. Edmund parish, St. Thomas parish, and the parts of St. Martin parish exclusive of Milford tything, constitute the poor law district. Acres, 480. Pop. in 1861, of St. Edmund parish, 4,458; of St. Thomas parish, 2,215; of the district parts of St. Martin parish, 2,366; of all St. M. parish 2,997. The livings of St. E. and St. M. are rectories, and that of St. T. is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value of St. E., £300; of St. M., £188; of St. T., £140. Patron of St. E., the Bishop; of St. M., J. H. Wyndham, Esq.; of St. T., the Dean and Chapter. Poor-rates of the district in 1863, £6,189. Marriages in 1863, 94; births, 275, of which 13 were illegitimate; deaths, 133, of which 41 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 772; births, 2,866; deaths, 2,127.

The Diocese.—The see was originally disjoined from the see of Sherborne and established at Wilton in 905; was removed to Old Sarum in 1072; and was removed thence to Salisbury in 1258. Among the bishops have been Osmund, the compiler of the Sarum Use; Roger, the chancellor; Poore, the architect; Wyville, who sent a wager of battle to Montacute, Earl of Sarum; Waltham, who was lord chancellor; Hallam, who became cardinal; Ayscough, who was murdered by Jack Cade; Woodville, who suffered great domestic reverses; Blyth, who was master of the rolls; Campeggio, the cardinal; Jewell, the studious; Seth Ward, the founder of the clergymen’s widows’ college; Burnet, the well-known voluminous author; Hoadly; Sherlock; Douglas; and Burgess. Among the dignitaries have been Fuller, N. Spinkes, W. L. Bowles, J. Bampton, who founded the Bampton lectures at Oxford, and eleven who became cardinals. The cathedral establishment includes the bishop, the dean, a precentor, a chancellor of the church, a treasurer, three archdeacons, a succentor, four residentiary canons, thirty-nine prebendaries, a chancellor of the diocese, and four minor canons. The income of the bishopis £5,000; of the dean, £1,000; of each of the archdeacons, £200; of each of the residentiary canons, £500; of six of the prebendaries, £4, £22, £23, £24, £32, and £44. The diocese comprehends all Dorset, all Wilts, except the deaneries of Cricklade and Malmsbury and part of Hungerford parish, and a pendicle of Berks forming part of Chilton-Foliatt parish; and is divided into the arch-deaconries of Salisbury, Wilts, and Dorset. Acres, 1,309, 617. Pop. in 1861, 377,337. Houses, 78,188. The archdeaconry of Salisbury comprises the deanery of Wilton and Salisbury, with 11 livings; the d. of Amesbury, with 27; the d. of Chalk, with 37; and the d. of Wylye, with 44. The archd. of Wilts comprises the d. of Avebury, with 33 livings; the d. of Marlborough, with 34; and the d. of Pottern, with 45. The archd. of Dorset comprises the d. of Bridport, with 54 livings; the d. of Dorchester, with 49; the d. of Pimperne, with 33; the d. of Shaftesbury, with 34; and the d. of Whitchurch, with 60.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Beale Charles, New Sarum, Wilts, oilman and innholder, June 12, 1824.

Bowles James, New Sarum, Wiltshire, linen draper. Oct. 25, 1833.

Coombs Henry, Sarum, Wiltshire, money scrivener, April 22, 1834.

Hayes William, Salisbury, Wiltshire, grocer, July 10, 1838.

Hayward Francis, New Sarum, Wiltshire, tailor, Oct. 6, 1829.

Hearn John, jun., Salisbury, Wilts, bookseller and stationer, Sept. 4, 1840.

Housman William, New Sarum, Wiltshire, scrivener, March 17, 1837.

Ingram Charles, Salisbury, Wiltshire, currier, June 29, 1832.

Ingram Charles, Salisbury, Wiltshire, currier, Sept. 5, 1834.

Isles Nicholas Roch, New Sarum, Wilts, linen & woollen draper, July 3, 1829.

Jones Hugh, New Sarum, Wilts, waggon proprietor, April 29, 1831.

Jones Stephen. New Serum, Wiltshire, bookseller, Dec. 19, 1834.

King James, Salisbury, Wiltshire, draper, April 21, 1840.

Langridge John, Salisbury, Wilts, stay maker, July 12, 1833.

Lawes Samuel, New Sarum, Wiltshire, victualler, Feb. 3, 1829.

Long William, New Sarum, Wiltshire, grocer, Oct. 10, 1834.

Maxfield Thomas, Salisbury, Wiltshire, linen draper, April 15, 1823.

Ottway Richard Hawkins, New Sarum, Wiltshire, coach maker, May 15, 1829.

Реггу John, New Sarum, Wiltshire, innkeeper, June 13, 1834.

Rogers Thomas, Salisbury, Wiltshire, innkeeper, Aug. 14, 1840.

Rosenboum Abraham, Salisbury, Wiltshire, jeweller, June 9, 1837.

Short George, jun., Salisbury, Wiltshire, grocer, Aug. 24, 1841.

Smith Robert, Salisbury, Wiltshire, haberdasher, Feb. 7, 1832.

Taylor Charles, Salisbury. Wiltshire, innholder, March 5, 1825.

Warden John, New Sarum, Wiltshire, money scrivener, Oct. 26, 1824.

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Census

Census returns for Salisbury, 1841-1891

Church Records

An abstract of monumental inscriptions in Salisbury churches (mainly up to 1852) Author: Reeves, John A.

Account book, 1818-1831 and trustees minute book, 1845-1877 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

Baptisms from Salisbury St. Thomas, Salisbury Cathedral and 9 parishes to the west and north Author: Wiltshire Family History Society

Births and baptisms of New Sarum, Presbyterian Church, 1723-1836 Author: Presbyterian Church. Salt Lane (Salisbury, England)

Births and baptisms, 1806-1837 Author: Independent Chapel (Endless Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Births and baptisms, 1806-1837 Author: Independent Chapel (Endless Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Births and baptisms, 1819-1837 Author: Church Street Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Births and baptisms, 1819-1837 Author: Church Street Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Births and baptisms, 1834 Author: Swedenborgian Church. Old George Yard (Salisbury, England)

Births and burials, 1763-1837 Author: Brown Street Baptist Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Births, baptisms and burials, 1757-1836 Author: Scot’s Lane Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Independent)

Births, baptisms and burials, 1786-1837 Author: Scot’s Lane Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Independent)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Edmund’s Church, Salisbury, 1609-1880 Author: Church of England. St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Martin’s Church, Salisbury, 1586-1880 Author: Church of England. St. Martin’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Bishop’s transcripts for St. Thomas’ Church, Salisbury, 1599-1880 Author: Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Bishop’s transcripts for the Cathedral Church, Salisbury, 1678-1880 Author: Church of England. Cathedral Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Church records, 1714-1883 Author: Salt Lane Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

Church records, 1785-1837 Author: Brown Street Baptist Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Church records, 1832-1942 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : Primitive Methodist)

Church records, 1841-1949 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

Church records, 1851-1914 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : United Methodist); Milford Street Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Churchwardens’ accounts of S. Edmund and S. Thomas, Sarum, 1443-1702, with other documents Author: Church of England. St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire); Swayne, Henry James Fowle; Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Churchwardens’ accounts of S. Edmund and S. Thomas, Sarum, 1443-1702, with other documents Author: Church of England. St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire); Swayne, Henry James Fowle; Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Deeds and account book, 1684-1888 Author: St. Edmund’s Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, 1541-1857 Author: Le Neve, John, 1679-1741; Horn, Joyce M.

Fasti ecclesiae sarisberiensis, or a calender of the bishops, deans, archdeacons, and members of the cathedral body at Salibury : from the earliest times to the present Author: Jones, William Henry, b. 1860

Manuale et processionale ad usum insignis Ecclesiae eboracensis Author: Henderson, W. G. (William George)

Marriages at Salisbury St. Edmund Church, 1559-1837 Author: Church of England. St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Marriages at Salisbury, Cathedral Church, 1564-1812 Author: Church of England. Cathedral Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Marriages at Salisbury, St. Thomas, 1570-1812 Author: Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Marriages at Salisbury-St. Martin’s Church, 1559-1812 Author: Church of England. St. Martin’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Parish register transcripts, 1813-1837 Author: Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire); Simmons, Han, Mrs.

Parish register transcripts, 1813-1837 Author: Church of England. St. Martin’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire); Simmons, Han, Mrs.

Parish registers for Chapel of Salisbury General Infirmary, 1847-1945 Author: Church of England. Chapel of Salisbury General Infirmary

Parish registers for St. Martin’s Church, Salisbury, 1559-1913 Author: Church of England. St. Martin’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Parish registers for St. Thomas’ Church, Salisbury, 1530-1943 Author: Church of England. St. Thomas’ Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Parish registers of St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury), 1539-1973. Author: Church of England. St. Edmund’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Quarterly minute book, 1831-1862 and centenary handbook, 1927 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : Primitive Methodist)

The register of Robert Hallum, bishop of Salisbury, 1407-1417 Author: Hallum, Robert, Bishop of Salisbury; Horn, Joyce M.

Salisbury churchgoers 1574, 1584 & 1660 & Wilton c. 1639 Author: Williams, Lorelei

St. Martin Parish magazine, 1875, Salisbury, Wiltshire, England–index to vital statistics Author: Hillier, Laurie West, 1951-; Church of England. St. Martin’s Church (Salisbury, Wiltshire)

Sunday school receiving book, 1851-1863 and Sunday school register, 1851-1862 Author: Salisbury Circuit (Wiltshire : United Methodist)

Wiltshire pew rents Author: Hurley, Beryl

Church Records - Indexes

Parish register printouts of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England (Independent, Endless Street) ; christenings, 1807-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England (Independent, Scot’s Lane) ; christenings, 1757-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England (Presbyterian, Salt Lane) ; christenings, 1723-1785 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Salisbury, Wiltshire, England (Wesleyan, Church Street) ; christenings, 1803-1837 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Cemeteries

An Account of Old Sarum, and the cathedral church of Salisbury

Certificate for burial of ashes of bodies cremated at the Salisbury District Crematorium Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire)

Copies of the epitaphs in Salisbury Cathedral, cloisters and cemetery : accompanied by translations and notes historical and biographical : with a general survey of the other churches in Salisbury and a concise history of the family of Montacute, earls of Salisbury Author: Harris, James

The history and antiquities of the cathedral church of Salisbury and the abbey church of Bath Author: Rawlinson, Richard, 1690-1755

Register of burials in the burial ground of Salisbury, 1857-1985 Author: Salisbury Cemetery (Wiltshire)

Poorhouses & Poor Law

Caring : a short history of Salisbury City Almshouse and other charities from 14th to 20th centuries Author: Salisbury Local History Group (Wiltshire)

Creed registers, ca. 1900-1925 Author: Alderbury and Salisbury Union (Wiltshire)

Miscellany of Salisbury City records Author: Hurley, Beryl

Money & gifts for the poor, apprentices, children bound out, prisoners Author: Jago, Robert S.; Cole, Jean A.; Fuller, Barbara; Hurley, Beryl; Roddam, Doris

Probate Records

Church records, 1714-1883 Author: Salt Lane Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

List of courts and parishes in the diocese of Sarum

Probate records, 1612-1677 Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of the Sub-Dean of Salisbury. Court

Wills at Salisbury 1464-1858 Author: Webb, Cliff (Clifford R.); British Record Society

Wills, administrations and inventories, 1500-1857 Author: Church of England. Diocese of Salisbury. Consistory Court

Public Records

City and borough records of freemen & apprentices, 1755-1851 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire : Borough)

The first general entry book of the city of Salisbury, 1387-1452 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire); Carr, David R.

Miscellany of Salisbury City records Author: Hurley, Beryl

Occupations

Burgess roll’s in Salisbury, Wiltshire, 1835-1876 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire : Borough)

City and borough records of freemen & apprentices, 1755-1851 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire : Borough)

Maltings in Salisbury Author: Jackson, Douglas; South Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology Society

Salisbury clocks and clockmakers : 600 years of skill and invention Author: Snell, Michael

Church History

The diary of Thomas Naish Author: Naish, Thomas, 1669-1755; Slatter, Doreen

The history and antiquities of the cathedral church of Salisbury and the abbey church of Bath Author: Rawlinson, Richard, 1690-1755

Notes on St. Martin’s church and parish Author: Baker, T. H.

Register of old choristers of Salisbury Cathedral, 1810-1897 Author: Dorling, Edward Earle

The registers of Roger Martival, bishop of Salisbury, 1315-1330 Author: Martival, Roger

Sarum Close : a history of the life and education of Cathedral choristers for 700 years Author: Robertson, Dora H.; Cathedral Preparatory School (Salisbury)

Archives and libraries - Inventories, registers, catalogs

The Records of the Bishop of Salisbury, administrative records : transcripts of parish registers to 1812, Wilts Author: Church of England. Diocese of Salisbury. Record Office

History

The diary of Thomas Naish Author: Naish, Thomas, 1669-1755; Slatter, Doreen

Endless street : a history of Salisbury and its people Author: Chandler, John (John Howard), b. 1951

Maltings in Salisbury Author: Jackson, Douglas; South Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology Society

Poverty in early-Stuart Salisbury Author: Slack, Paul

Biography

Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, 1541-1857 Author: Le Neve, John, 1679-1741; Horn, Joyce M.

Salisbury clocks and clockmakers : 600 years of skill and invention Author: Snell, Michael

Manors

Estate survey in Radberds land in Salisbury, Wiltshire, 1582 Author: Manor of Salisbury (Wiltshire)

Land and Property

Church records, 1714-1883 Author: Salt Lane Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

Deeds and account book, 1684-1888 Author: St. Edmund’s Chapel (Salisbury, Wiltshire : Wesleyan Methodist)

The fifteenth century cartulary of St. Nicholas Hospital, Salisbury, with other records Author: Wordsworth, Christopher, 1848-

Court Records

Court papers of Sub-Dean of Salisbury in 17th century Author: Church of England. Archdeaconry of the Sub-Dean of Salisbury. Court

Court records, 1546-1741 Author: Church of England. Bishop of Salisbury

Salisbury City coroners’ inquests of the late 19th and early 20th centuries Author: Cole, Jean A.

Taxation

Early land tax, 1648-1797 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire : Borough)

Land tax assessments in Liberty of the Close, Wiltshire, 1838-1870 Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Wiltshire)

Land tax assessments in Salisbury, Wiltshire 1783-1870 Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Wiltshire)

Business records and commerce

The account books and papers of Everard and Ann Arundell of Ashcombe and Salisbury 1745-1798 Author: Williamson, Barry, 1943-

Vital Records

Salisbury City coroners’ inquests of the late 19th and early 20th centuries Author: Cole, Jean A.

Voting Registers

Burgess roll’s in Salisbury, Wiltshire, 1835-1876 Author: Salisbury (Wiltshire : Borough)

Newspapers

England, Wiltshire, Salisbury : Family Notices, 1775-1872

England, Wiltshire, Salisbury : Obituaries, 1802-1872

Obituaries

England, Wiltshire, Salisbury : Obituaries, 1802-1872

Description and travel

An Account of Old Sarum, and the cathedral church of Salisbury

The history and antiquities of the cathedral church of Salisbury and the abbey church of Bath Author: Rawlinson, Richard, 1690-1755

Directories

List of courts and parishes in the diocese of Sarum

Medical Records

Salisbury cholera victims 1849 Author: McAbendroth, Liz; Hurley, John

Schools

Bishop Wordsworth’s School, 1890-1950 Author: Happold, F. C.

The Godolphin school, 1726-1926 Author: Douglas, Mary Alice; Ash, Cecily Ray

Register of old choristers of Salisbury Cathedral, 1810-1897 Author: Dorling, Edward Earle

Sarum Close : a history of the life and education of Cathedral choristers for 700 years Author: Robertson, Dora H.; Cathedral Preparatory School (Salisbury)

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps