Rowde is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1606
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROWDE, a parish, with a village, in Devizes district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, 2½ miles WNW of Devizes r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 2,665. Real property, £7,139. Pop., 1,142. Houses, 255. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. A. S. Locke, Esq. R. Ford and R. Ashton are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £260. Patron, G. Goldney, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1833. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £29.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Devizes Borough; Potterne and Cannings
- Province: Canterbury