Rodbourne Cheney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Moredon, Haydon Wick, Haydon, and Even Swindon.
Alternative names: Rodborne Cheney
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RODBORNE-CHENEY, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts; on the North Wilts canal, and adjacent to the Swindon and Gloucester and the Great Western railways, 2½ miles NNW of Swindon. It includes thetythings of Even-Swindon, Haydon, Haydon-Wick, and Moredon; and its post town is Swindon. Acres, 2,728. Real property, £5,045. Pop., 670. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. Limestone is largely quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £110. Patron, the Rev. R. Haking. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1848. There are an Independent chapel, and an endowed school with £43 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Out relief from the board of guardians’ minutes of Highworth & Swindon Union, 1842-1879 Author: Hurley, Beryl; Hassell, Margory; Highworth and Swindon Union (Wiltshire); Wiltshire Family History Society
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Highworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cricklade
- Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
- Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple
- Province: Canterbury