Potterne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire. Worton is a chapelry of Potterne.
Other places in the parish include: Worton and Marston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1556
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Little Cheverell
- Urchfont with Stert
- Cheverell Magna
- Devizes St John the Baptist
- West Lavington
- Market Lavington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POTTERNE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Wilts. The village stands 2 miles S by W of Devizes r.station, and has a post-office under Devizes. The parish includes the tythings of Marston and Worton, and is in Devizes district. Acres, 4,956. Real property, £14,017. Pop., 1,826. Houses, 417. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury. Eastwell is the seat of the Grubbes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £601. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is early English, cruciform, and good; and has a pinnacled tower, and carved pulpit. The p. curacy of Worton and Marston is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school, and charities £44. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes, and bears the name of Potterne and Cannings. Acres, 30,930. Pop. in 1851, 8,284; in 1861, 8,095. Houses, 1,721.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Devizes
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Salisbury (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Devizes
- Hundred: Potterne and Cannings
- Province: Canterbury