Other places in the parish include: West Overton and Lockeridge.
Alternative names: Overton with Fyfield
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1682
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Alton Barnes
- Overton Heath
- East Kennett
- Winterbourne Monkton
- Clatford Park
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OVERTON, a village in Marlborough district, and a parish partly also in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Kennet, 4 miles W by S of Marlborough r. station; and is a small place. The parish comprises the township of West Overton and the tything of Lockeridge, in Marlborough district, and the chapelry of Alton-Priors, in Pewsey district. Acres, with Fyfield parish, and with Overton-Heath and Clatford-Park extra-parochial tracts, 8,030. Real property, with Fyfield, £6,156. Pop. of O. parish alone, in 1851, 1,025; in 1861, 910. Houses, 194. Overton House is a chief residence. Most of the land is disposed in sheep farms. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Alton-Priors and with the vicarage of Fyfield, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £319. Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is ancient, and has a pinnacled tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Marlborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Marlborough
- Hundred: Elstub and Everleigh; Selkley
- Province: Canterbury