Orcheston St Mary, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Orcheston St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.

Alternative names: St Mary Orcheston

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1688
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ORCHESTON-ST. MARY, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on Salisbury plain, 8¾ miles NE of Wiley r. station, and 11¼ SSE of Devizes. Post-town, Orcheston, St. George, under Devizes. Acres, 1,737. Real property, with Orcheston, St. George, £3,480. Pop., 177. Houses, 41. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to Miss Mills. Orchestondown is in the NE. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £380. Patron, Clare College, Cambridge. The church is partly ancient, and restored; and the chancel was recently rebuilt.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Amesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Wylye
  • Poor Law Union: Amesbury
  • Hundred: Branch and Dole
  • Province: Canterbury