Orcheston St George is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Elston.
Alternative names: St George Orcheston
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1647
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ORCHESTON-ST. GEORGE, a village and a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts. The village stands on Salisbury plain, 8 miles NE of Wiley r. station, and 12 SSE of Devizes; and has a post-office under Devizes. The parish contains also the hamlet of Elston, and comprises 2,363 acres. Real property, with Orcheston, St. Mary, £3,480. Rated property of O., St. G. alone, £1,548. Pop., 236. Houses, 48. The property is divided between two. The manor belongs to W. Linton, Esq. The parish is remarkable for the widely-known Orcheston grass. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. value, £600. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is of the 14th century, and in excellent condition; and has stained-glass windows. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Amesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Amesbury
- Hundred: Heytesbury
- Province: Canterbury