Ogbourne St George is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Great Okebourne, St George Ogbourne
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1663
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1579
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Protestant Dissenters.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
OGBOURNE-ST. GEORGE, or Great Okebourne, a village and a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts. The village stands near the source of a small affluent of the river Kennet, 3½ miles N by E of Marlborough r.station; and has a post-office, of the name of Ogbourne, St. George, under Marlborough. The parish comprises 3,585 acres. Real property, £5,215. Pop., 534. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Bec-Herlowyn abbey in Normandy, was founded here, in 1149, by Maud de Wallingford; and was given to Kings College, Cambridge, and to the Charter-house. A considerable portion of Marlborough downs is within the parish, and has been extensively laid under good cultivation. Barbury hill, with a well-preserved ancient British camp, and the scene of a great battle in 556, is 2½ miles NW of the village, and has been separately noticed. There are several barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £244. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient, with a tower; and was restored and beautified in 1865, at a cost of £1,300. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and charities £11.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Marlborough
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Canons of Windsor in Wantage
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Marlborough
- Poor Law Union: Marlborough
- Hundred: Selkley
- Province: Canterbury