Odstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1541
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ODSTOCK, a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, 2½ miles S of Salisbury r. station. Post-town, Salisbury. Acres, 1,220. Real property, with Coombe-Bissett and Hornington, £5,180. Rated property of Odstock alone, £808. Pop., 184. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. Odstock House is the seat of Sir Henry Webb, Bart. Clearbury Ring is an ancient earth-work, on the summit of a lofty hill in the S; has an oblong shape; is protected by a single ditch, and by a rampart about 40 feet high; has been ascribed generally to the West Saxons, particularly to Cynric, who captured Old Sarum in 552; and commands a very extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £282. Patron, the Earl of Radnor. The church is good, and has an oaken pulpit of the time of Elizabeth.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Alderbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Chalke
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Cawden and Cadworth
- Province: Canterbury