North Savernake is an extra-parochial place.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
- South Savernake with Brimslade and Cadley
- Overton Heath
- North Newnton
- Milton Lilbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SAVERNAKE FOREST, a chapelry and an ancientforest in Marlborough district, Wilts. The chapelry is in Great Bedwin parish; lies 2 miles N W of Bedwin r.station, and 4½ SE by E of Marlborough; and was constituted in 1864. Post-town, Hungerford. Pop., 465. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The ancient forest includes the chapelry; comprises adomain of 16 miles in circuit; retains much of its ancient sylvan character; displays a grandeur of forest scenery highly interesting to artists; formed part of the jointure of Queen Eleanor; passed to the Seymours, Dukes of Somerset; went by marriage, in 1676, to the Bruces; and belongs now to the Marquis of Ailesbury. S. F. House, formerly called Tottenham Park, is the Marquis’s seat. A column, seen through a long vista from the N front of the mansion, crowns a lofty height, and was erected in 1789 to commemorate events in the life of George III.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Marlborough
- Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
- Diocese: Not Applicable
- Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
- Poor Law Union: Marlborough
- Hundred: Kinwardstone
- Province: Canterbury