Monkton Deverill, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status:

Alternative names: Deverill Monckton, Monkton Deverill

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers:
  • Bishop’s Transcripts:

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Monkton Deverill

  • Pertwood
  • East Knoyle
  • Kingston Deverill
  • Brixton Deverill
  • West Knoyle

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DEVERILL-MONCKTON, a parish in Mere district, Wilts; on the Deverill rivulet, 4¼ miles NE of Mere, and 5¾ SW of Heytesbury r. station. Post town, Deverill-Kingston, under Warminster. Acres, 1,735. Real property, with Deverill-Kingston, £3,875. Pop., 180. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. A monastery, subordinate to Bee abbey, was founded here before 1086. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Deverill-Longbridge, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good. White, ejected by Cromwell, and afterwards a physician, was incumbent.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Monkton Deverill 1749-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Directories

Kelly's Directory of Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetshire and the Isle of Wight 1889

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Mere
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Mere
Hundred: South Damerham
Province: Canterbury