Maddington Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1652
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

  • Shrewton
  • Orcheston St George
  • Rollestone
  • Chitterne All Saints
  • Fisherton Delamere
  • Winterbourne Stoke
  • Berwick St James
  • Wylye

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MADDINGTON, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; in Salisbury plain, 5½ miles N of Stapleford r. station, and 6 W by N of Amesbury. Post town, Shrewton, under Devizes. Acres, 3,973. Real property, with Shrewton and Rollstone, £7,295. Rated property of M. alone, £3,456. Pop., 396. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to Sir Stephen-Fox, ancestor of the Earls of Ilchester and Lords Holland; and belongs now to L. P. Maton, Esq. Traces exist of ancient buildings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £64. Patron, L. P. Maton, Esq. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £8.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Amesbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
Diocese: Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Wylye
Poor Law Union: Amesbury
Hundred: Branch and Dole
Province: Canterbury