Lyneham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Preston and Clack.
Alternative names: Lineham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist.
- Christian Malford
- Bremhill with Foxham and Highway
- Clyffe Pypard
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LYNEHAM, or LINEHAM, a village and a parish in Cricklade district, Wilts. The village stands 1½ mile S of the Wilts and Berks canal and the Great Western railway, and 4 SW of Wootton-Bassett r. station; and has a post office under Chippenham. The parish contains also the village of Clack, and comprises 3,242 acres. Real property, £7,596. Pop., 1,034. Houses, 230. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to G. H. W. Heneage, Esq. Lyneham Court is a farm house. An Augustinian priory, called Bradenstoke abbey, was funded, about the middle of the 12th century, near Clack village; and has left considerable traces at the farmstead of Clack. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £270. Patron, G. H. W. Heneage, Esq. The church is ancient, has been beautifully restored, and contains some monuments. The p. curacy of Clack is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a national school, an endowed school with £36 a year, and charities £53.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Cricklade
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Cricklade and Wootton Bassett
- Hundred: Kingsbridge
- Province: Canterbury