Long Newnton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1648
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606
- Shipton Moyne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWNTON (Long), a village and a parish in the district of Tetbury and county of Wilts. The village stands near Akeman-street, and near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1½ mile E of Tetbury, and 6½ SW by W of Tetbury-road r. station; was known to the Saxons as Newantune; and has a post-office under Tetbury. The parish comprises 2,289 acres. Real property, with Ashley, £4,581. Rated property of L.N. alone, £2,663. Pop., 277. Houses, 63. The property belongs to the Right Hon. T. H. S. S. Estcourt. A right of common was given by King Athelstan. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £370. Patron, the Right Hon. T. H. S. S. Estcourt. The church is modern, but retains the tower of a previous edifice. There are a village school, and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Tetbury
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Tetbury