Liddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Medbourn, Liddington Wick, Liddington Warren, and Coate.
Alternative names: Lyddington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1692
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605; 1624
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LIDDINGTON, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 4 miles SE by S of Swindon, and 5 SE of Swindon r. station; and is small. The parish contains also the hamlets of Liddington-Wick, Liddington-Warren, Coate, and Medbourn. Post town, Swindon. Acres, 2,767. Real property, £4,362. Pop., 440. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. Remains of the old manor-house, of Tudor date, surrounded by a moat, are in a dell. Liddington Castle, or Badbury, is an ancient British camp, large and circular; and was the scene of a decisive defeat of the Saxous under Cerdic, by King Arthur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325. Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is ancient; was restored in 1850; has a roof of timber frame-work, and a tower; and contains a very ancient font, and monuments of two church dignitaries, supposed to be abbesses of Shaftesbury. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Highworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Cricklade
- Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
- Hundred: Kingsbridge
- Province: Canterbury