Leigh Delamere, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Status: Ancient Parish

Alternative names: Leigh de la Mare, Leigh de la Mere

Parish church: St. Margaret

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1712
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Leigh Delamere

  • Castle Combe
  • Yatton Keynell
  • Grittleton
  • Stanton St Quintin
  • Kington St Michael

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LEIGH-DELAMERE, a parish in Chippenliam district, Wilts; 5 miles NNW of Chippenham r. station. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 1,227. Real property, £1,772. Pop., 113. Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to the Delamere family, and belongs now to Sir John Need, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £280. Patron, Sir J. Need, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1846.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Historical Records

Parish Registers

Marriages at Leigh Delamere 1735-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

County: Wiltshire
Civil Registration District: Chippenham
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
Poor Law Union: Chippenham
Hundred: Chippenham
Province: Canterbury