Lea and Cleverton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cleverton, Cleaverton, and Claverton.
Alternative names: Lea, Lea and Claverton, Lea and Cleaverton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1751
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Calvinist, Primitive Methodist, and Society of Friends/Quaker.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEA, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands 1½ mile ESE of Malmsbury, and 7½ SW of Minety r. station; and has a post-office under Malmsbury. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cleaverton, and is all included in Malmsbury borough. Acres, 1,739. Real property, with Garsdon, £4,815. Pop., 432. Houses, 99. The manor belongs to the Earl of Pembroke. There is a large corn mill. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Garsdon, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is of Norman or perhaps Saxon date; was restored in 1840; and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel, a free school, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
- Hundred: Malmesbury
- Province: Canterbury