Laverstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Ford.
Alternative names: Laverstock and Ford
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1726
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1611; 1622
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Methodist.
- East Harnham
- Salisbury St Martin
- Idmiston with Porton
- Stratford sub Castle
- Clarendon Park
- Winterbourne Earls
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LAVERSTOCK, a village and a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the Bourn river, near the Southwestern railway, 1½ mile NE of Salisbury; and has a post-office under Salisbury. Its name signifies “the village of the lark.” The parish includes part of Ford tything, and comprises 1,675 acres. Real property, with the rest of Ford, and with Milford tything, £9,789. Rated property, exclusive of Milford, £3,130. Pop., 470. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Good Duke Humphrey, and belongs now to John H. Wyndham, Esq. Laverstock House was formerly the seat of the Dyke family; and is now a private lunatic asylum, with accommodation for upwards of 100 patients. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, and is annexed to the commonalty of the Vicars Choral of Salisbury. The church is modern; was built at a cost of £2,350; has a bell turret; and consists of flint, with stone dressings. Part of the previous church still stands, and contains monuments of the Bathursts. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Laverstock Wiltshire Marriages 1726 to 1812 - View Online
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Alderbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Amesbury
- Poor Law Union: Alderbury
- Hundred: Alderbury
- Province: Canterbury