Langley Burrell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1607
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
- Langley Fitzurse
- Sutton Benger
- Tytherton Kellaways
- Chippenham with Tytherton Lucas
- Bremhill with Foxham and Highway
- Kington St Michael
- Draycot Cerne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANGLEY-BURRELL, a parish, with a village, in Chippenham district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and on the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NE of Chippenham. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres, 1,725. Real property, £6,161. Pop. in 1851, 697; in 1861, 1,100. Houses, 211. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of numerous houses in a part adjoining Chippenham. The property is subdivided. A causeway, more than 3 miles long, with 60 arches, extends here and crosses the Avon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £386. Patron, the Rev. R. M. Ashe. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A chapelry, called St. Paul’s, constituted in 1855, comprises a portion of this parish, and portions of the parishes of Chippenham, Hardenhuish, and Kington-St. Michael. Pop. of that chapelry, in 1861, 1,218. Houses, 232. Pop. of the L. B. portion, 733; of the Chippenham portion, 455. The living is a p. curacy. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is large, and has an elegant spire. There is a free school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Chippenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chippenham
- Hundred: Chippenham
- Province: Canterbury