Knook is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1782 from chapelry in Heytesbury Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1591
- Upton Lovell
- Chitterne All Saints
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KNOOK, a parish, with a village, in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, the Old Ditch way, and the Somerset and Weymouth railway, 1 mile SE of Heytesbury r. station. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 1,440. Real property, £1,342. Pop., 208. Houses, 46. The property belongs chiefly to Lord Heytesbury. Knook Castle is an ancient single ditched entrenchment, of about 2 acres; is supposed to have been originally a British village, and afterwards a Roman summer camp; and has yielded Roman coins. Traces of another ancient British village are to the N. "The site of these villages,'' says Sir R.Hoare, " is decidedly marked by great cavities and a black soil; and the attentive eye may easily trace out the lines of houses and the streets, or rather the hollow ways, conducting to them. Numerous tumuli and barrows are in the neighbourhood.'' The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the p. curacy of Heytesbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church, in Aug., 1866 was about to be repaired.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Warminster
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Wylye
Poor Law Union: Warminster