Horningsham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Horningham
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1561
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1581
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
- Hill Deverill
- Maiden Bradley
- Selwood, Somerset
- Longbridge Deverill with Crockerton
- Warminster Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORNINGSHAM, a village and a parish in Warminster district, Wilts. The village stands near the boundary with Somerset, 4½ miles SW of Warminster town and r. station; enjoys picturesque environs, resembling the best parts of Devon; and has a post office under warminster. A well is here, covered with masonry, partly old, and inscribed with the words, “O ye wells, bless the Lord; with thee is the spring of life.” The parish comprises 2,541 acres. Real property, £3,251. Pop., 1,065. Houses, 246. The manor belonged formerly to the Arundells of Wardour, and belongs now to the Marquis of Bath. Remains of the Arundells’ manor house adjoin the church; and contain, in an upper room, a chimney piece sculptured with their arms, and reaching from floor to ceiling. Part of the extensive park of Longleat, the seat of the Marquis of Bath, is within the parish. Fine views over parts of Wilts, Dorset, and Somerset, are commanded by a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1845, by the Marchioness of Bath, after designs by Wyatt and Brandon, at a cost o more than £5,000; and is a handsome edifice. Bishop Ken usually repaired to the old church during his residence at Longleat; and he is said to have composed on a neighbouring eminence his “ Morning and Evening Hymns.” There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £41.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 - None, Post-1846 - Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Heytesbury
- Province: Canterbury