Holt is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Wiltshire, created in 1846 from chapelry in Bradford-on-Avon Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1568
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1588; 1622
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Bradford-on-Avon Christ Church
- Great Chalfield
- Broughton Gifford
- Little Chalfield and Cottles
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLT, a chapelry in Bradford-on-Avon parish, Wilts; on the river Avon, near the Kennet and Avon canal, and at the junction of the Devizes railway with the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway, and near the Bathampton branch of the Great Western railway, 2½ miles ENE of Bradford. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post office under Trowbridge; and it was constituted in 1846. Real property, with Leigh and Woolley, £10,767. Pop. of H. alone, 809. Houses, 191. The manor belongs to Burton Foster, Esq. The wool and leather trade, and the manufacture of fine woollen cloth, are carried on. A mineral spring, discovered in 1718, is noted for removing cutaneous diseases. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Bradford on Avon
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Bradford
- Hundred: Bradford
- Province: Canterbury