Hilperton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Alternative names: Hilprington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1694
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1622
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HILPERTON, or HILPRINGTON, a village and a parish in Melksham district, Wilts. The village stands near the Somerset and Weymouth railway and the Kennet and Avon canal, 1½ mile NNE of Trowbridge; and has a post-office under Trowbridge. The parish comprises 1,078 acres. Real property, £3,238. Pop. in 1851, 996; in 1861, 880. Houses, 209. The manufacture of cloth is carried on; and the decrease of pop. was caused by the substitution of power looms for hand looms. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Walter Long, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Whaddon, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £418. Patron, W. Long, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Land and property
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Melksham
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Potterne
- Poor Law Union: Melksham
- Hundred: Melksham
- Province: Canterbury