Hilmarton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Whitcombe, Pen, Littlecot, Goatacre, Corton, Cleveaney, Cleveancy, Cleave Ansty, Cleave Anstey, Catcomb, and Beversbrook.
Alternative names: Hillmarton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1645
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Berwick Bassett
- Bremhill with Foxham and Highway
- Compton Bassett
- Clyffe Pypard
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HILLMARTON, a village and a parish in Calne district, Wilts. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Calne r. station, and 7 SW by W of Wootton-Bassett; and has a post office under Calne. The parish includes also the hamlets of Catcomb, Corton, Beversbrook, Goatacre, Pen, and Cleveancy. Acres, 4,182. Real property, £7,727. Pop., 787. Houses, 181. The manor belongs to Thomas H. A. Poynder, Esq. Brick clay occurs, and building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £399. Patron, the Crown. The church is later English, and was restored by the late Thomas Poynder, Esq. Chapels were formerly at Corton and Whitcombe. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Land and property
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Calne
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Calne
- Hundred: Kingsbridge; Selkley
- Province: Canterbury