Highworth with Sevenhampton is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Wiltshire. Broad Blunsdon is a chapelry of Highworth with Sevenhampton.
Other places in the parish include: Westrop, Sevenhampton, Fresdon, and Eastrop.
Alternative names: Highworth
Parish registers begin:
Highworth with Sevenhampton
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1583
- Parish registers: 1649
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HIGHWORTH, a small town, a tything, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred, in Wilts. The town stands on high ground, commanding an extensive view, 2 miles W of the river Cole and the boundary with Berks, 4¼ NW of Shrivenham r. station, and 6¼ NNE of Swindon; was known, at Domesday, as Wrde; had once the status of a borough, sending a member to parliament, but lost the franchise by disuse; and possessed considerable importance as a seat of provincial trade, but lost much of this in consequence of the formation of the Great Western railway. It consists chiefly of stonebuilt houses; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Swindon, a banking office, two good inns, a church, three dissenting chapels, national and British schools, a scientific institute, a subscription library, and charities £277. The church was built in the time of Henry VI.; includes two chapels; was recently restored; has a square tower, with open parapet; and contains tombs of the Warnefords. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; a monthly cattle market is held on the last Wednesday of each month; and fairs are held on 13 Aug. and 11 Oct. The tything is chiefly identical with the town. Pop. in 1851, 698; in 1861, 631. Houses, 140. The parish contains also the tythings of Westrop, Eastrop, Fresdon, Sevenhampton, South Marston, and Broad Blunsdon. Acres, 10,000. Real property, exclusive of South Marston and Broad Blunsdon, £10,852. Pop. of the whole, 3,629. Houses, 836. The property of Sevenhampton is all in one estate; that of Broad Blunsdon is divided among a few; and that of other parts is much sudivided. The manor belonged, at the Conquest, to the Crown; and passed to Edmund de Langley and the St. Johns. An ancient camp, supposed to have been Roman, was on Blunsdon castle hill; and a Roman road went past the W base of that hill. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Sevenhampton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £555. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. Sevenhampton has a chapel of ease. The rectory of Broad Blunsdon and the p. curacy of South Marston are separate benefices. The sub-district contains also the parishes of Inglesham, Castle-Eaton, Hannington, Stanton-Fitzwarren, Blunsdon-St. Andrew, Rodborne-Chaney, and Stratton-St. Margaret. Acres, 23,456. Pop., 7,013. Houses, 1,516. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Swindon, containing the parishes of Swindon, Bishopstone, Little Hinton, Wanborough, Liddington, Chisledon, Draycot-Foliatt, and Wronghton. Acres, 50,064. Poor rates, in 1863, £8,346. Pop. in 1851, 17,620; in 1861, 19,237. Houses, 3,862. Marriages in 1862, 166; births, 761, of which 50 were illegitimate; deaths, 363, of which 146 were at ages under 5 years, and 16 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,316; births, 6,802; deaths, 3,844. The places of worship, in 1851, were 20 of the Church of England, with 4,167 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 682 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 690 s.; 9 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,303 s.; 10 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,001 s.; and 1 undefined, with 20 attendants. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 1,740 scholars; 22 private day schools, with 460 s.; and 31 Sunday schools, with 2,418 s. The workhouse is in Stratton-St. Margaret. The hundred bears the name of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple; and contains eighteen parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 50,515. Pop. in 1851, 14,432; in 1861, 14,027. Houses, 3,064.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Taylor Hen. Lemon, Highworth, Wilts, saddler & harness maker, July 8, 1836.
Bishop’s transcripts for Highworth, 1583-1868 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Highworth (Wiltshire); Church of England. Chapelry of South Marston (Wiltshire); Church of England. Chapelry of Sevenhampton (Wiltshire)
Parish register printouts of Highworth, Wiltshire, England (Independent, Zion Chapel, High Street) ; christenings, 1821-1836 Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Out relief from the board of guardians’ minutes of Highworth & Swindon Union, 1842-1879 Author: Hurley, Beryl; Hassell, Margory; Highworth and Swindon Union (Wiltshire); Wiltshire Family History Society
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Highworth
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Prebendal of Highworth
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Cricklade
- Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
- Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple
- Province: Canterbury