Highway, Wiltshire Family History Guide

Highway is a chapelry of Bremhill with Foxham and Highway Ancient Parish in Wiltshire.

Alternative names:

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1742
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1606

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HIGHWAY, a parish in Calne district, Wilts; 4½ miles NE of Calne, and 5 NNW of Wootton-Bassett r. station. Post town, Hillmarton, under Chippenham. Acres, 813. Real property, £1,077. Pop., 121. Houses, 26. The manor belongs to A. H. Tonge, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bremhill, in the diocese of Salisbury.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Church Records

Bishop’s transcripts for Highway, 1606-1880 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Highway (Wiltshire)

Parish registers for Highway, 1742-1950 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Highway (Wiltshire)

Taxation

Land tax assessments in Highway, Wiltshire 1780-1831 Author: Great Britain. Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Wiltshire)

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Wiltshire
  • Civil Registration District: Calne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
  • Diocese: Salisbury
  • Rural Deanery: Avebury
  • Poor Law Union: Calne
  • Hundred: Potterne and Cannings
  • Province: Canterbury