Heytesbury is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Wiltshire. Tytherington is a chapelry of Heytesbury.
Other places in the parish include: Little London and Coombe Castle.
Alternative names: Hatchbury, Heytesbury with Tytherington
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1582
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEYTESBURY, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Wilts. The town stands on the river Wiley, and on the Somerset and Weymouth railway, near Salisbury plain, 4 miles SE by E of Warminster; was known, to the Saxons, as Hegtredesbiryg; took afterwards the names of Haresbury, Haseberie, and Heightsbury; is now commonly called Hatchbury; was, in the time of Stephen, the residence of the Empress Mand; was, in 1766, nearly all destroyed by fire, and afterwards rebuilt; consists now chiefly of a single street; possesses interest to tourists as the central point of a region abounding in British, Roman, Saxon, and Danish remains; and gives the title of Baron to the family of A’Court. It sent two members to parliament from the time of Henry VI. till disfranchised by the act of 1832; was a borough by prescription; and is now a seat of courts leet. It has a post office‡ under Bath, a railway station, two chief inns, a church, an Independent chapel, a national school, and an endowed hospital. The church dates from the 13th century; was partly rebuilt in 1470; underwent a thorough restoration in 1866, at an expense of about £5,500; is cruciform; has a massive tower; and contains the burial place of the A’Courts, and a tablet to Cunningham, the antiquary. The hospital was founded in 1470, by Lady Hungerford, for a chaplain, twelve poor men, and one poor woman; was rebuilt in 1769; forms three sides of a square, two stories high; and has an endowed income of £1,373. A weekly market was formerly held; and two fairs are still held on 14 May and 25 Sept. The parish comprises 3,380 acres. Real property, £4,713. Pop., in 1841, 1,311; in 1861, 1,103. Houses, 237. The manor belonged to the Burghershs; and passed to the Badlesmeres, the Hungerfords, the Hastingses, and others. Heytesbury House, the seat of Lord Heytesbury, is on the N side of the town; was partially rebuilt about 1784; contains a fine collection of pictures: and stands in a well wooded park. Cotley Hill rises from the woods of the park; commands a very fine panoramic view; is crowned by a tumulus; and was anciently fortified. Knook castle, Scratchbury camp, Golden barrow, and many other autiquities are in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Knook, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The sub-district contains also eleven other parishes, and is in Warminster district. Acres, 27,546. Pop., 4, 372. Houses, 946. The hundred contains thirteen parishes, and part of another. Acres, 33,040. Pop., 5,572. Houses, 1,209.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Everett Edward Jackson; and John Соgan Francis; Heytesbury, Wiltshire
clothiers, Oct. 27, 1829.
Rabbits Robert, Heytesbury, Wiltshire., farmer, Nov. 27, 1829.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Warminster
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1847 – None, Post-1846 – Wylye
- Poor Law Union: Warminster
- Hundred: Heytesbury
- Province: Canterbury