Heddington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HEDDINGTON, a village and a parish in Calne district, Wilts. The village stands under Roundway hill, adjacent to the Julian way, 3 miles S by E of Calne r. station, and 3½ N by W of Devizes; and is supposed, by many antiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman station Verlucio. Many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found in the village and its neighbourhood. The parish comprises 1,686 acres. Post town, Calne, under Chippenham. Real property, £2,831. Pop., 362. Houses, 86. An ancient camp is on Bagdon hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £239. Patron, the Rev. F. H. Du Boulay. The church has a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Calne
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Salisbury
- Rural Deanery: Avebury
- Poor Law Union: Calne
- Hundred: Calne
- Province: Canterbury