Hannington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1605
- Castle Eaton
- Broad Blunsdon
- Stanton Fitzwarren
- Highworth with Sevenhampton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HANNINGTON, a village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 2 miles W by N of Highworth, 2 S of the river Thames at the boundary with Gloucester, and 7 NE of Swindon Junction r. station; is a pretty place, built in the form of the letter Y; and has a post office under Swindon. The parish comprises 2,412 acres. Real property, with Inglesham and Lynt, £6,469. Pop., 378. Houses, 81. Hannington bridge leads over the Thames into Gloucestershire; and Hannington-Wick has a fine view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Col. Freke. The church is good, has a square tower, and contains monuments of the Frekes. There are a chapel of ease at Hannington-Wick, a free school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Highworth
Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
Rural Deanery: Cricklade
Poor Law Union: Highworth and Swindon
Hundred: Highworth, Cricklade and Staple