Hankerton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Wiltshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cloatly, Bishopers, and Bishoper.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1699
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Particular Baptist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HANKERTON, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands 3½ miles NE of Malmsbury, and 4 W by S of Minety r. station; and has a post office under Chippenham. The parish includes also the tything of Cloatly. Acres, 2,150. Rated property, £2,611. Pop., 393. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Suffolk. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £269. Patron, the Rector of Crudwell. The church is ancient and good, with a tower; and there is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Hankerton Wiltshire Marriages 1700 to 1837 - View Online
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Malmesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Malmesbury
- Poor Law Union: Malmesbury
- Hundred: Malmesbury
- Province: Canterbury