Groveley Wood is an extra-parochial place.
Alternative names: Grovely, Grovely Wood
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers:
- Bishop’s Transcripts:
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GROVELY, or GROVELY WOOD, an extra-parochial tract in Wilton district, Wilts; 4¼ miles NW of Wilton. Pop., 50. house, 12. It is a main part of an ancient forest, which was one of the largest in Wilts; which continued to be a forest so late as the time of Elizabeth; and which contained a number of ancient earthworks; and it belongs to the Earl of Pembroke, and is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. “The circuit of this wood,’’ says Sir R.Hoare, “is rich in food for the antiquary, and interesting to every eye that is not totally indifferent to the many varied and beautiful views which it continually affords.’’ Grovely Works, opposite Wishford, are remains of an ancient British town, about a mile in length, and occupying 60 acres. Grovely Castle, S of Little Langford, is an earthwork of single ditch and rampart, but seemingly of not very high antiquity. East Castle, Hanging-Langford, Belbury-Bing, and Hamshill-Ditches, also are ancient earthworks, various in character and in age, within the limits of the ancient forest.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Wiltshire
- Civil Registration District: Wilton
- Probate Court: Search the courts of the surrounding parishes
- Diocese: Not Applicable
- Rural Deanery: Not Applicable
- Poor Law Union: Wilton
- Hundred: Cawden and Cadworth
- Province: Canterbury